Thursday 17 July 2014

Get Ready for Summer: Update your Makeup Bag

There are some makeup products that when you see them you are instantly thinking “summer time”! Like some bright lippies, some colourful eyeshadows or your bronzer. Today I’m going to give you some recommendations of things you might consider packing for your weekends away!



The first thing you need to switch in the summer time is your foundation. You don’t need that heavy coverage foundation anymore because with the heat and your sweat it’s not gonna look as glamorous as it would in the cooler months. You might want to opt for a BB cream this time of year. It will give you the coverage you need, it will adapt to your tanned complexion and it will provide you with sun protection. My pick is the Lioele Triple the Solution BB cream with SPF 30 (I’ve done a full review on this and you can take a look here). I’ve discovered another product lately that I think is perfect for your base in summer. It is the Avene Compact Foundation with SPF 50+ (you can read a full review here). This one can be used both as a foundation or as a concealer with a small brush, and it gives you amazing coverage, it is perfect for travelling and the super high SPF is a great plus for me. The Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation with SPF 15 is a great option as well. It is very light-weight, it has a water-like consistency, it applies very evenly and it gives a medium coverage.


A waterproof mascara is a must have in summer, since you can even wear it at the beach and it won’t give you panda eyes. I’ve recently discovered the 1 Seconde Volume by Bourjois and I’m hooked! I love the brush, it’s plastic and really thick, and the result is really impressive. It separates my lashes very well and it makes the application to the lower lashes really easy because of its spiky tip at the end of the brush.

I love using stick eyeshadows and these two from Sephora are very affordable and last for ages. They are waterproof so they don’t smudge at all and they work both as a base and on their own. I’ve got the shades Copper and Taupe but I’m seriously tempted to buy the whole range (for full review and swatches click here)! Colourful eyeliners are very girly and super season appropriate. If you don’t wear your mint green or your lilac cat eye now when are you going to? I adore the Catrice Kohl Kajal liners in Blues Willis and Too Cool For Pool, keep your eyes peeled because there’s a makeup look with these two coming real soon!

Don’t tell me that when you hear the word ‘bronzer’ you don’t instantly think about beaches and tanned skin! Make sure that you carry with you the absolute summer makeup essential and apply it on the high points of your face where the sun would naturally hit you, for and extra glowy summer look! My favourite one is the Big Bold by NYC in Manhattan.  Bright pink and bright coral blushers scream summer to me as well! I will definitely rock the Fashionista one in Blushing Coral, which is the super bright pink you can see in the pic, the Fashionista in Juicy Apricot, the coral one in the round pan which has also got very fine shimmer in it, as well as the Catrice one in Love and Peach, which I’ve been wearing non-stop since the day I got it (to the point that I’m trying to match my look to the blush and not the blush to the rest of my makeup!).

Choosing your lipstick in the summer seems such a chore.. Why you might ask. Just because there are so many super bright and beautiful shades and formulas out there that I really can’t pick! You definitely need orange and coral lipsticks in your life this summer. They are the No1 trend and let’s be honest, they look awesome with a tan! The Maybelline one from the Vivids collection in Electric Orange is one of my favourites. It’s almost neon and a very creamy consistency. Also, the Bourjois Color Boost in Orange Punch is a beautiful and very glossy one, but it doesn’t come out that orange on your lips, more of a coral shade I’d say. The Rimmel Apocalips in Stellar is the perfect peachy red for me; the formula is glossy and they stay on for hours (you can read a full review along with swatches here). If you want to go for a matte look, which I personally prefer whether it is summer or winter, a great option is the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Audacious. Very moisturising formula and amazing shade. However, I’ve found that it’s not very opaque so make sure you apply an orange lip liner underneath to intensify the colour. The Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Matte lipsticks are a unique product. They are matte and work like a stain but they don’t dry out your lips and you feel like you’ve got nothing on. A very summery shade is Peach Club which, as the name indicates, is peachy! Sticking with the theme of corals, I can’t resist the Vegas Volt one from MAC. I love this shade and I get so many compliments every time I wear it! The only pink I included in this post is Snob by MAC and that’s because I’ve found that this one looks amazing on tanned skin! I don’t like it that much on me when I’m fair so I definitely enlist it as a summer shade!

Last but not least, I think that face mists are made for the summertime! They are moisturising, they make you feel refreshed and, if you opt for one like the MAC Fix+, they set your makeup and protect it from melting the minute you step out of your house into the heatwave!


I hope you liked my picks and I really hope that you become a little bit more brave this summer and play around with your makeup looks. Let me know in the comments which products you will be putting in your makeup bag this summer!

Georgina x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment